Gingerbreads are an easy favourite to keep kids amused and this low-sugar recipe delivers a lot of fun and a tasty snack at the end.
- 100 g of unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 55 g of dark brown sugar
- 2.5 tsp. of dried ginger or fresh grated ginger
- Zest of an orange
- 0.5 tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 egg
- 75ml of whey liquid, collected from straining your homemade yoghurt through a Better Cloth
- 275 g of plain flour
- 1 tsp. of baking powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Blend the butter and sugar in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Add the ginger, orange zest and cinnamon.
- Add the egg and whey and mix thoroughly.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder onto the mixture and fold until all are well combined and you can form a dough. Add more flour if required.
- Gently knead the dough a little and then chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a suitable surface and roll out to around half a centimetre thickness.
- Let the kids go crazy with any shape cutters.
- Transfer the shapes to a lightly greased baking tray and cook for 8-10 minutes.
This recipe won’t deliver the classically bronzed finish of traditional gingerbread characters, but they are still deceptively moreish and you won’t need to feel too guilty if you nibble through several at once. Feel free to experiment with other flavours and let us know what creations you come up with.
Enjoy with a mug of hot chocolate whilst still warm.